Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Template Construction

In this section I want to explain how I create templates to use to build solid body electric guitars.  Hopefully, this will encourage you to create your own designs.
I first start my design on AutoCAD and make a 1" gridwork in the computer.
I use Card Stock to create a hard copy template.  In this case I'll use 4 sheets.
Tape the sheets down to a table or some flat surface and layout the grid lines that I drew in AutoCAD.  I use a straight edge and add the lines and number them accordingly.
I then place dots on the physical grid board in conjunction with what is on the computer and use french curves to connect the dots.  At this point, it's important to mention the reason why I do this instead of printing it out from the computer.  One, I don't have a printer that large and two, each time you print something from the computer you run the risk of the program or printer, or both, scaling the drawing, thus creating an inaccurate template.  To some, that may not matter, but to me, it makes ALL the difference!
Putting on the final touches.
The completed sketch!  100% scaled accurate.
Now, I use an x-acto blade to cut out the template.
I remove the cutout template and set it aside until I am ready to apply it to a new creation...

No comments:

Post a Comment