Monday, November 29, 2010

FAQ's

Here are some commonly asked questions:

1.)  What does Psalmos charge to build a custom electric guitar?  The base charge for a custom solid body guitar (which includes purchase of all hardware and electronics) is $1,000.00 (Google custom solid body guitars and compare our prices to theirs!).  However, the prices go up the more complex a guitar becomes.  Of course, I'm always willing to negotiate if you are wanting to contribute a donor guitar...:).

2.)  What is a 'donor' guitar?  This is a guitar that clients have donated for me to pirate the parts from to complete a custom solid body for them.  Basically, if you give a donor guitar, you'll get that one back except we will build the body and neck w/fretboard custom.  This seems to be the more popular option.

3.)  What determines the complexity of an instrument?  It's all in the wood selection and finishing.  If you want to go with a rare wood, such as Bubinga, it's definitely going to cost more because of limited supply.  Also, if you decide you want a really complex graphic design, although we are capable, it would take a lot more time to complete and therefore would raise the price.

4.)  How long does it take to build a Custom Solid Body Electric Guitar?  The base time I like to give is 14 weeks from start to finish.  The process is not one that can be hurried because of the level of quality that Psalmos is accustomed to delivering.

5.)  How are Psalmos' Guitars designed?  I design each body style personally utilizing AutoCAD as a drafting aid.

6.)  What materials do you use to build the guitars with?  I mostly use wood that has been thrown out for whatever reason, so it can vary.  This is what makes Psalmos' products unique.  Woods I have used include Pine, Poplar, Maple, Birch, Ash and Oak.  All fingerboards are made from very dense hardwoods such as Oak or Maple.

7.)  What is the common scale for Psalmos Custom Electric Guitars?  At this point, we are using 24 scale.

8.)  I want to learn to play the guitar, but I'm not sure what kind I should have custom built?  First of all, if you are a beginner, I strongly suggest you not get a custom guitar built.  Sure, I would love the business, but, you will have no idea as to what you need or want until you have been playing for awhile.  I also suggest that you get a cheap guitar to practice on from a relative or even a place like craigslist.  Find out if you actually LIKE playing before you spend the bucks for a custom guitar.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting to know that an article can be a FAQ type. I am a guitarist and so far using an acoustic guitar. I am interested to learn on electric guitars and this blog is the best one for this. I have also knowledge of guitar parts and with the help of this, I have replaced guitar neck screws. The replacement is a successful one and I am happy to do it.

    ReplyDelete