Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Warrior Build

So, I've been commissioned to build a Warrior 24 scale for a friends son and he tells me to make it red and creative.  This is gonna be fun!

I left out most of the construction phase of the guitar because it pretty much follows the Ananchel build.  I encountered some very interesting problems which I am documenting.  I hope this will be helpful.  I apologize in advance for the clarity of the pics.

Completed and sanded.  I love the way the grain patterned out. 
Head-on shot of the guitar body.  notice how it started to bow at the ends?  This was the interesting problem I spoke of.  This will be corrected through a belt sanding process.
Headstock still needs some flattening.
I label the body of the guitar where I need to hit it with the belt sander.
Showing the back where it's starting to separate due to a bad clamp job...ugh!  Now I have to insert kerfs to keep it from bowing any further.  First, I will lay them out with a square and saw them to a depth of 3/8" with a circular saw.
Using craft sticks and wood putty for filler.

Whew!  Now, after all that, I'm ready to start the finishing process.  Remember how my friend said to 'get creative'?  This next pic shows how I added the red paint, but backed off a bit on the top where I simulated quilting.  Yes, I SIMULATED this effect with ripped masking tape and beige spray paint.  I'm sure I'll get calls from Luthiers everywhere about my blasphemy!  I can go into this process too if anyone's interested.

After about 8 coats of laquer...
Sorry, the picture quality kind of sucks...

I learned through the last few steps that I should have raised the grain a little more before I started finishing.  It made for a REAL interesting top pattern, though.

These next pics show the guitar completed following an intensive sanding, repairing and polishing process.  These pics are of a MUCH better quality...enjoy!  Notice how the wood grain pattern pops out from not having the grain raised.  I like it!
Whenever the client secures the donor guitar, I'll begin the modification process...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment